Friday, July 17, 2009

Hmm....

I think my mid-summer melancholy has set in. It's not really a bad thing, just a thing. Baseball is almost over, and we seem to have settled in to our lazy mornings, long evenings routine. I always feel sort of quiet and peaceful this time of year. It's a happy melancholy. Time could freeze right now and I would be completely fine and content.

In other news, it looks like I will be going back to work part-time in the fall. It's a good thing because that extra income will provide a much-needed financial cushion. I've never been very good at holding tight the pursestrings, and even though Shawn would never admit it, neither is he. So the cushion will be nice. I'll be doing something I love - either teaching or helping to coordinate developmental therapy programs for preschoolers (not sure yet whether I will go back to the school district, or work for a private agency, some decisions might be headed my way). In some ways I'm looking forward to it, and in other ways I'm sad. The boys won't have to go to daycare (which is the only way I would do this!), as Shawn can be home with them for a couple of days a week. I just hope that enough things have changed in our family over the past year that it won't be crazy stressful for me like it was before. I have become so accustomed to the peace I have cultivated as a stay-at-home mom. On a side note, I always wondered if I had fewer challenges with my children when I was working because the Lord knew that I could only handle so much. The answer to that is yes! My children have been much more challenging since I quit working last summer! Maybe they will become angels again if I go back to work. :) It's a big decision, and I wish that we had unlimited resources (read: lots of money!) so that I didn't have this choice to make! And yet, I've always sort of felt that a big part of my life's challenges would be to balance home and career. Oh, but that's another topic for another post.

Has anyone ever been to the farmer's market here in town? I've never been, but the kids and I wanted to check it out in the morning. Should be a fun day in the sun, anyway. Enjoy your beautiful warm weekend!

2 comments:

Melessa Gregg said...

You are too sweet! You don't owe me any apologies. I was just as surprised as you can imagine when we bought our dream house in the country, were told by our stake president that it put us in a tiny branch a 20 minute drive from that new house; and that it was the smallest church building I've ever seen (except for a few from my mission in Italy). I noticed there was no nursing mother's room, but as I was weaning what I thought would be my "last" baby. I wasn't that worried. Until now. Believe me, I am NOT an exhibitionist either. Hopefully this baby will love the huge sling I bought at a thrift store that looks like it will cover both of us and then some. :)

Good luck with the return to work! I just left MY part-time job because of the coming baby and I miss it.

Melissa said...

Good Luck!! I'm sure you'll handle it well. You seen to take things so gracefully ! :) I'm amazed by the balancing act you do with home and work. Great Job.