Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New beginnings



Yesterday was the first day of school for my two sweet little girlies. One in 2nd grade, the other in kindergarten. It was a little sad, just to feel the changing of the times, the leaving them to fend for themselves. But, for the most part, I just get so excited to see them begin new adventures in their lives. I honestly was a little nervous about Emma's teacher this year, but when I picked her up yesterday, her first words were, "Mommy, I had the best day. I am so glad I got Mrs. ~~~~!!" Time will tell whether my apprehensions will ever be realized, but for now, I am happy, too. I really have a core belief that things work out the way they are supposed to without too much unnecessary meddling (gather from that - I don't usually request specific teachers for my kids, because there are probably reasons I can't see yet for them getting who they get).


As it was the first day of school, and as I am no longer teaching, yesterday was also my first, first day of school at home. I have to say, being a stay-at-home mom rocks! I am getting my eyes opened to the innumerable blessings of housewifery. Now, don't get me wrong, I have actually been on both sides of the fence for the past nine years. I have taught full time, part time, and have been home during the summers. So, it's not that I don't acknowledge how challenging it is to manage a family (house, kids, husband, comings and goings, etc.). It's just that now, that's all I have to do. My only responsibilities (yes, immense in themselves) include taking care of my house, kids, and husband (and the little ones I am providing day care for as they come and go). In the past, I have done all that (except for the day care), plus worked outside the home. It is an amazing burden that has been lifted from my shoulders, and I am delighting in my new-found freedoms. It is like soaking up the first warm rays of sunshine after a long winter. I am immensely grateful for this new blessing.

2 comments:

idahohubers said...

I'm glad the first day went well. I suspect you'll continue to LOVE being at home and hopefully Emma's teacher will turn out to be an ok thing for her in the long run. I love how you describe the blessing of being a stay-at-home mom. You have great descriptive skills! I forget sometimes how awesome it is to be at home with the kiddos.

Melissa said...

hey, I found you!! glad you have a blog. One more I get to stalk :-)

being a housewife is fun. But also challenging. It's a definite task in learning how to prioritize!! (I love lunching with Robert most days!!)