Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mama Mia! (Mothers and Daughters)

I had heard so many great things about the movie Mama Mia!, that I decided to give it a try. Okay, about 30 seconds in and I was in love. Can you be in love with a movie? (My 9-year old self would answer yes to that question, upon seeing Tom Cruise for the first time in Top Gun). Anyway, back to Mama Mia! I love everything about this movie. The music, the island (I can FEEL the warmth of the rocks and the water), the clothes, the friends, the dancing. This movie reminds me of who I used to be. Partly because my favorite place to be in all the world is somewhere with warm sand and warm water; and partly because it feels so carefree and fun. I used to be carefree and fun. I miss that girl. I know, everyone grows up, but somewhere in the process I have become a worrier. I think way too much about EVERYTHING. It is exhausting. I'm tired of worrying and thinking. Here's to letting it be.

I have been thinking a lot lately about my girls. (See, always with the THINKING). I enjoyed watching the dynamics of the relationship between Donna and Sophie. I loved that they could see and appreciate their differnces, and I loved the bits of raw honesty that passed between them. I'm not sure I have that raw honesty with my mom. Actually, I'm sure that I don't, but I suppose that is another story for another time. It got me thinking about mothers and daughters in general. It's a daunting task ahead of me, raising TWO daughters. Instilling in them values that will carry them through their lives to come - virtue, strength, self-assurance, confidence in who they are, knowledge that they are daughters of God, an awareness that they are one beautiful, special part of a whole (a collective sisterhood, the human family). I know I'm rambling, but I think it's that last part that gets me. I don't think that boys need to feel as SPECIAL as girls do, as if they are the only person in the universe like them, and that there is something wonderful in that. Maybe it's as simple as my girls are having a hard time SHARING lately, or that I was the only girl in my family, so I get the feeling special thing. They are just constantly in competition for my attention, with one or the other feeling jilted ("You love Emma moooore than meeee!") I want so badly to give my girls a sense of BALANCE, teach them to give and receive love and attention equally, and to feel secure, even as the attention ebbs and flows. Maybe I just need to teach them not to THINK as much as I do. Whew, now I'm tired.

(By the way, did anyone else think the flower penis was HILARIOUS)!?

3 comments:

idahohubers said...

I hear you about that movie reminding me of my 'younger' me. We are NOT old yet! But some of that carefree spirit is gone from my life too. I think too much now and worry, worry, worry about things. Maybe that comes from the responsibility of motherhood. Raising daughters is a challenge for sure. It's interesting to think of m/d relationships. I liked that aspect of the movie as well. About the flower... I guess I missed that 'part' but I'm sure I'll notice now the next time I watch the movie! I'll let you know then if I think it's funny :)

Cook Family said...

If you don't mind seeing the movie again, let's see it together! I know I have been thinking a lot about my girls lately, too. My thoughts weren't as cohesive as yours so mine are in a hidden "Word" document. You are doing a great job with your girlies, you are a wonderful mother!

Ashley said...

I knew you would love it! Who walks away from that movie not loving (husbands don't count!) You want to see it again, don't you? and you want the soundtrack now huh?! The song "Funny Little Girl" is so awesome. I cried.

And yes, that flower part was funny!