Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bella-isms, Donna Reed

When she was younger, Bella used to make up words, and use them in perfect context. I know, how does a made-up word have context? Well, all of hers did, and they were always big words. My favorite one was "dequintified," which I believe can be defined as somewhat of a cross between flabbergasted and frustrated. Now that she's so much older and more sophisticated, she doesn't make up words anymore, but she does like to use big words. And she always uses them correctly. Yesterday, something was certainly, and apparently, and evidently! She can also repeat infomercials with the exact right intonations, etc. "Mom, you need to get the (insert fabulous product here). It will make your life so much easier, for only 3 easy payments of $14.99." Always with a straight face she says this, and takes herself completely seriously. So, being completely used to the ways of my daughter, why was I so smitten with this conversation?
Bella: "Mom, why is it called Zucchini Bread?"
Me: "Because it has zucchini in it."
Bella, several minutes later: "They should just call it bread and be sneaky about the zucchini part......Because if someone has a bite of it and likes it and doesn't know it has zucchini in it, but they wouldn't like it if they knew it had zucchini.....(wanders off rambling about zucchini).
Hmmm, would that someone be you, Bella?

Lately I have been serving dinner at 2 or 3 o'clock in the afternoon. I decided to try this because, for several different reasons, it seemed like that time would work better for our family. It does and I love it! My meals are now on time, and much more fab than they were before. I feel like Donna Reed, so accomplished. So now it's 4:20, dinner is done, dishes are done, kitchen's clean, and the only thing I will have to deal with later is a light meal before bedtime. I'm sure in another week or so I will fall apart again, but at least today is a good day.

4 comments:

Cook Family said...

YOU are Donna Reed and Bella IS hilarious! glad you had a great day!

Whitney Harris said...

Bella cracks me up. I loved Emma's b-day gift. I also like the early dinner idea. I would totally go for it if it worked for us. Plus it's so much heathier to eat that early. I might have to try it once Chris is in school and not working. Thanks for the idea.

Unknown said...

I LOVE reading your posts! They are awesome! :) Bella is hilarious! Reading that makes me miss being in primary! I had to play catch up on reading your blog today- you are awesome and I seriously need some of your posts some days! I just barely commented on your "overwhelmed" post.... needed that one :)

idahohubers said...

I love your girl! Oh, how I miss fun times with YOU! We will plan some soon for sure. I'm home, I'll call you soon. I like your dinner idea too, evenings seem to rush by even if dinner is at 6. My grandma always called lunch 'Super' - maybe that generation was onto something :)